Saturday, January 29, 2022

Twelve Minus One

“Twelve Minus One”

Judy Royal Glenn Photography


Magical moments happened in the Cove yesterday. If you did not get to see the snow, here is a photo of a buck standing stately on top of a hill.


I saw 15 bucks, and a gazillion does. Yes, a few of them were the same ones. They move around quite a bit.


When my friend and I got there, six bucks greeted us, and many does too. They enjoyed posing for us. 


As the day rolled around, I wanted to stick it out and hoped the snow would come. The snow did come, and so did the bucks.


I enjoyed photographing this buck. He traveled much distance. You probably can’t tell, but he was a 12 point but lost one tine.


Afterwhile, I was all alone on top of a hill with this buck. I said, “It’s me, God, and a buck.” I enjoyed just watching him. Eventually, he wandered into the woods. I just sat there, enjoyed the snow, and thought about the moments I shared with him. 


I hoped he would come out the other side so I could see him again. I walked until there was an opening and said, “Oops!” There he stood, gazing forward. He saw two does at the base of the hill. They had no interest and ran into the woods.


A man parked his truck and walked towards me. He said, “I would have never seen him if I hadn’t seen you.” He got out his cellphone and took some photos.


The snow kept coming down. No one was anywhere around. I was the only car in the parking lot of the Visitor’s Center. I felt like I had the Cove all to myself—I think I did. 


I saw three bucks in a different field and photographed them also.

 

It was sunset and began to turn dark. I headed down Loop Road to leave. I saw a ranger at Hyatt Lane and told him thank you, and I had a wonderful day. I asked if there were a slim chance the Cove would be open tomorrow. He said, “We are closing it down now. Be careful on the way out. There is snow on the road.”  


Trust me; you don’t want to be on those roads today. The Cove is closed for a good reason. I was wary at times as I drove down Laurel Creek. In some places,  snow totally covered the road. With the temps in the teens, that rain and slush probably froze and turned to black ice.


They don’t put salt on the roads. I’m guessing because all the critters in the woods would come to the road to lick it up. That would be a disaster waiting to happen.


Y’all have a blessed day and enjoy the snow!


To purchase wildlife and nature fine art prints, please visit my website:

https://www.judyroyalglennphotography.com


Location: Cades Cove, Tennessee in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10