Friday, October 29, 2021

“A Blustery Day in Cades Cove” - Cades Cove Closed Yesterday Due to Downed Trees

A Blustery Day in Cades Cove”

Cades Cove Closed Yesterday Due to Downed Trees

Judy Royal Glenn Photography


Yesterday was blustery in Cades Cove, Tennessee, so much so that the Cove shut down to keep everyone safe.


The wind was so strong that it knocked me to and fro. I have never been in such strong wind. I can’t imagine what the wind gusts were.


I spent hiking, and I found two does eating seed pods. This photo is not spectacular, but I wanted to tell the story of the strong wind by choosing a photo that showed leaves flying everywhere. 


 As I was traveling down Hyatt Lane, I noticed a long line of cars near Dan Lawson. I thought it was a bear jam and decided to turn around. I was so excited because there weren’t many cars!


Once I got to the Visitor Center, I noticed cars were going up Loop Road the wrong way and parking in the parking lot.


I talked to two of my favorite volunteers, Nancy and Dave, and found out Cades Cove Loop Road and Laurel Creek Road were closed due to downed trees that had fallen on the road. There was also an injury and property damage which I assumed were cars.


Well, when given lemons, make lemonade. I saw two photography friends I hadn’t seen in a year. We had a picnic in their car and chatted. My friend stayed in the car with their older dog while her husband and I walked down the open road to hike and see if we saw any critters. 


The only interesting we saw were three Wooly Bear caterpillars crossing the road. They would have probably gotten squished if the cars were

 traveling on the road.


By the time we got back, the road was clear, and everyone had to exit the Cove.


I have several videos of the day on my Instagram account if you would like to see the fall color and a video of the wind. I also took pano shots of the mountains:) Visit my Instagram.


Were you there yesterday?


To purchase wildlife and nature fine art prints, please visit my website:


https://www.judyroyalglennphotography.com


Location: Cades Cove, Tennessee in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park

2 comments:

01 09 10