Monday, July 1, 2019

Here I Come!


“Here I come!”
Judy Royal Glenn Photography  

The least tern is the smallest tern in the world, and I was lucky to see them when I was on St. Simons Island, Georgia in 2017.

Their eggs are beautifully decorated with black, brown, and grey spots. Utter care must be taken to avoid stepping on the eggs as they nest on the sand—the eggs blend in with the sand. Fortunately, the area was roped off to keep beach-goers from walking in their nesting area.

The incubation is done by both the male and female, although the female more so early on and the male later.

A well-intentioned person was picking up trash and crossed into their area. I told him about the nests. He was unaware their nests were on the ground.

I hope you enjoy the video!! Did you notice the eggs before the tern walked up?

To purchase wildlife and nature fine art prints, please visit my website:
www.judyroyalglennphotography.com


Location: St. Simons Island, Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10