Saturday, March 23, 2024

“Stunned or Sleeping?”

“Stunned or Sleeping?”

Judy Royal Glenn Photography

Thursday before sunrise, while driving on Laurel Creek, I spotted something tiny in the road in the other lane. I passed by and immediately thought, is that an owl? I had to return to see if it was.

If the object were an owl, I did not want it to get hit by a car. It may have already been hit and just stunned or it could’ve been sleeping, but why wouldn’t an owl be sleeping on the road?

I finally found a place to turn around and returned to the object in the road. As I got closer, I noticed it was a screech owl. Screech owls are only 7 to 10 inches tall.

Since I parked in the middle of the road, I turned on my flashers. I took a video as I approached the owl. The owl never moved. I saw two cars approaching in the other lane, and waved my arms to slow them down and stop. I looked back to the owl. It turned his head, looked at me and flew away.

I was tickled to death. If I didn’t see anything else in Cades Cove, I would’ve been happy as a lark. Over several hours I shook my head at what I saw. I pray before I photograph and ask the Lord to show me or bring to me what he wants me to photograph. I also saw an immature bald eagle, a coyote, a bear, a bat, a wood duck, and plenty of deer and birds.

This morning, I didn’t know it would be to save a screech owl’s life. The Lord blesses me all the time!


Sorry it won't let me upload the video.


 To purchase wildlife and nature fine art prints, please visit my website:

https://www.judyroyalglennphotography.com

 

Location: Great Smoky Mountains National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10