Thursday, May 10, 2018

Faith


“Faith”
Judy Royal Glenn Photography

In continuing to honor mothers this week, I wanted to re-post a photograph of “Faith.” Faith was discovered while I was giving a tour of the Hummingbird Trail at the State Botanical Garden of Georgia. An attendee witnessed her sitting down on her nest right in front of us.

Female ruby-throated hummingbirds are single moms, as the male plays no part after conception. She spends about a week building the nest, lays on the eggs 12-16 days, feeds the hungry babies for 18-28 days and for about 4-10 days after fledging. Sometimes the females have second and thirds broods!

To read the backstories on Faith, click here, here, here, here, and here. 


I took several videos of Faith and put them on my YouTube channel. Here is one of my favorites: 

Thanks for all you do moms! Happy early Mother’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10