Wednesday, December 2, 2015

King Tide 2015 on St. Simons Island….a Matter of Perspective

"King Tide 2015 on St. Simons Island….a Matter of Perspective" 
Judy Royal Glenn Photography
When I walked out on the beach on St. Simons Island, Georgia last week, I became very excited by what I saw. I witnessed waves larger than I have ever seen on the island. They were huge!
The reddish egret I was photographing closer to the dunes was scared off by a dog. It flew and landed close to the waves. I waited till a large wave formed before I took the shot.
I researched a little about the 'king tide' and found the term is used to describe as especially high tide. A 'king tide' occurs when there is an alignment of the gravitational pull between the sun and moon and occur twice a year.
I don't know how high the tides were on St. Simons but, I read they were predicted to reach 9.9 feet on Tybee.
This photograph is a matter of perspective. The seagulls close to my camera look large while the egret is dwarfed by the huge wave. 
Location: St. Simons Island, Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10