Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Cades Cove’s First Snowfall

“Cades Cove’s First Snowfall”
Jud Royal Glenn Photography

I’m normally not a last minute planner, I and don’t like to fly by the seat of my pants, but late Saturday afternoon a week ago, I started looking into my next trip to Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I had everything pretty much planned out then I saw a 40% chance of snow for the next day. Around suppertime on Saturday, I sat down with my husband to make a final decision.

As we talked, I was reluctant to leave Sunday morning because the chance of snow was for only four hours. I was thinking maybe I shouldn’t go, but he encouraged me to. From the time I finished my plans until the time I got in my car to go, 12 hours had expired.

I left at 3:45 a.m. and headed north. As I got closer to Cades Cove, it started to snow. It snowed on and off until I arrived.

As I drove farther and farther down Laurel Creek Road, I started to see snow in the treetops. It was a winter wonderland, and I was as giddy as a schoolgirl.

I guess there may have been 1½ inches of snow. At times, it snowed hard and visitors were using umbrellas to shelter themselves.

My heart was divided because I wanted to photograph a bear in the snow, but I also saw the beauty of the snow against the fall colors. I photographed way more landscapes than I normally do.

I was disappointed that I did not see a bear that day. I can only imagine what the cubs were thinking of the snow. They were probably all hunkered down staying warm!

Location: Cades Cove, Tennessee, Great Smoky Mountains National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10