Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Matilda

“Matilda”
Judy Royal Glenn Photography

A female mallard duck takes advantage of the quiet playgrounds amid the coronavirus and lays eggs.

Meet Matilda, a female mallard—my new friend. Since the playgrounds are closed because of the coronavirus, they have become a quiet place of peace and solitude. This serenity attracted Matilda to lay a clutch of about 18 eggs underneath the green stairs next to a red slide.

I asked a worker if he had seen any wildlife. He answered, “There are mainly squirrels and ducks.” He then told me about a duck laying on eggs and directed me to her new home.

I gave her duck food to comfort her and waited till the light was void of the harsh shadows to photograph her.

The last time I visited, she was off the nest preening near her mate. This opportunity let me see her eggs from a distance. I can’t wait to meet all her ducklings!!

She is definitely practicing social distancing and has her house decorated early for Christmas!

To purchase wildlife and nature fine art prints, please visit my website:

Lenoir City, Tennessee

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10